busines law, ethics and social responsibility 2023 Business Finance
2023 Discussion Assignment For this assignment write at least 300 words answering the following Corporations
For this assignment write at least 300 words answering the following.
- Corporations often “vote with their feet” in terms of doing business where expenses are lowest and revenues are highest. Buying low and selling high is a basic economic formula for success that has motivated international trade in many ways over the centuries. This is popularly discussed when governments consider tax policies and is also applicable when they also consider the less obvious factor of environmental protections laws. If Mexico has no ban on DDT (a pesticide used in agriculture) and the USA has banned the use (but not the manufacture) of DDT, should a corporation buy land in Mexico, import DDT from the USA, grow larger crops, and export them to the USA?
- What ethical duties does the corporation have to the workers in Mexico, the neighboring landowners, and the USA consumers about the potential dangers of using DDT?
- Is there an ethical duty of DDT manufactures related to their export of DDT to countries that do not ban its use as the USA does?
- Do you agree that environmental protection laws are “less obvious” as suggested above? Why/why not?
It is your responsibility to respond to three classmates by providing comments, asking questions, or having a conversation about their main post. Feedback should be appropriate, meaningful, and helpful. For instance refer to how your own experience supports/contradicts the opinions developed by your peers. If you think they are too general or not rooted enough in personal experience, you may also ask for more detailed examples supporting these opinions. In particular make sure that the examples provided are properly referenced and that you are able to access them. Overall, your comments should contribute positively to the conversation by broadening or clarifying it. Feedback should be at least 3-4 complete sentences. You should also respond to anyone who has responded to you.
Learning Guide Unit 3
Use the Instructions for Case Analyses to craft a response to this case, articulating the main issues and ethical dilemma. Review the assessment criteria below before you begin writing.
Topic: Corporate Social Responsibility
- Bob, President
- John, Chemical Engineer
- Henry, Controller
- Kirk, Assistant Controller
Kirk is a bright individual who is being groomed for the Controller’s position in a medium-sized manufacturing firm. After his first year as Assistant Controller, the officers of the firm were starting to include him in major company functions. For instance, today he was attending the monthly financial statement summary given at a prestigious consulting firm. During the meeting, Kirk was intrigued at how all the financial data he had been accumulating was transformed by the consultant into revealing charts and graphs.
Kirk was generally optimistic about the session and the company’s future until the consultant started talking about the new manufacturing plant the company was adding to the current location and the costs per unit of the chemically plated products it produced. At that time, Bob (the President) and John (the chemical engineer) started talking about waste treatment and disposal problems. John mentioned that the current waste facilities were not adequate to handle the waste products that would be created by the “ultramodern” new plant in a manner that would meet the industry’s fairly high standards, although they could still comply with federal standards. Kirk’s boss, Henry, noted that the estimated cost per unit would be increased if the waste treatment facilities were upgraded according to recent industry standards.
While industry standards are presently more stringent than federal regulations, environmentalists are strongly pressuring for more stringent regulations at the federal level. Bob mentioned that since their closest competitor did not have the waste treatment facilities that already existed at their firm, he was not in favor of further expenditure in this area. Most managers at this meeting resoundingly agreed with Bob, and business continued on to another topic.
Kirk did not hear a word during the rest of the meeting. He kept wondering how the company could possibly have such a casual attitude toward the environment. Yet he did not know if, how, or when he could share his opinion. Soon he started reflecting on whether this was the right firm for him. What should Kirk do? Putting Corporate Responsibility first, but recognizing the politics at play, what is the most ethical thing to do? The most practical? What strategy would you suggest to Kirk if he came to you for advice?
Written Assignment Requirements
Submit a written paper which is 2-3 pages in length exclusive of reference page and that is double-spaced. The paper should cite sources to support your ideas. Be sure to review the assessment criteria below before beginning your paper. Cite any reference(s) you use in the preparation of your essay using proper APA format.
Written Assignment Peer Assessment
In the unit following the submission of your written assignment, you will peer assess three (3) of your classmates’ assignments according to the instructions found in the Assessment Form. During this peer assessment period, you are expected to provide details in the feedback section of the Assessment Form, indicating why you awarded the grade that you did to your peer. The written assignment grade is comprised of a combination of your submission (90%) and your peer assessments (10%).
Written Assignment Peer Assessment Rubric
For this assignment, your peers will be evaluating your work with the following criteria.
- Identifies all the relevant facts of the case.
- Articulates overarching ethical issues including the extent of Kirk’s responsibility to take action; how the interests of the firm (and stockholders) can be balanced against the environmental interests; what obligation the company has to future generations and citizens.
- Identifies all stakeholders.
- Poses possible alternatives and ethics of each alternative. Paper should explore the possible alternatives and ethics from the Utilitarian Perspective, the Rights Perspective,or the Justice Perspective.
- Identifies all practical constraints.
- Recommends a specific action Kirk should take, which may include leaving the company.
- Is of high quality, writing is clear and professional.
- Conforms to the structural requirements including APA style guidelines for References.
We give our students 100% satisfaction for their assignment, which is one of the most important reasons students prefer us from other helpers. Our professional group and planners have more than ten years of rich experience. The only reason that our inception days, we have helped more than 100000 students with their assignments successfully. Our expert’s group have more than 2200 professionals of different topics, and that not all; we get more than 300 jobs every day more than 90% of the assignment get the conversion for payment.
Place Order Now