Global Business 2023 Business & Finance
2023 Emerging Markets Microsoft s Evolving China Strategy Strategy Tripod Industry based resource based and institution based views are the three leading
Emerging Markets: Microsoft’s Evolving China Strategy
- Strategy Tripod: Industry-based, resource-based, and institution-based views are the three leading perspectives guide our exploration of globalization.
- Microsoft’s first decade in China was disastrous. It established a representative office in 1992 and then set up a wholly owned subsidiary, Microsoft (China), in 1995.The firm quickly realized that it didn’t have a market share problem—everybody was using Windows.
- Problem: How to translate that market share into revenue, since everybody seemingly used pirated versions.
- Microsoft’s solution? Sue violators in Chinese courts. But Microsoft lost such lawsuits regularly. Alarmed, the Chinese government openly promoted the free open-source Linux operating systems. Chinese government was afraid that Microsoft’s software might contain spy-ware for the US government.
- Mid-2000s: Chinese government required all government agencies to use legal software and all PC manufacturers to load legal software before selling to consumers. Prior to these requirements, many foreign (and some US) PC makers in China sold numerous machines “naked,” implicitly inviting their customers to use cheap illegal software.
- Changing the China strategy would inevitably lead to changing the globally “one-size-fits-all” set of pricing (such as $560 for the Windows and Office toolset as in the United States).
- “Does Microsoft need China?” Nobody needed China less than Microsoft, which became a dynamo without significant China sales. However, in the long run, China’s support of Linux could pose dangers to Microsoft. This was because a public infrastructure for a software industry built around Linux could generate an alternative ecosystem with more low-cost rivals that break free from dependence on Windows.
- Submission Length: Minimum of 2 pages of content
- Format: 12pt Times Roman font, single-spaced, proper spelling & grammar.
- Structure: Please type the question as well as your answer.
- References: Cite minimum of 3 references utilized in APA 7 format.
- File Name: Include your first & last name in the file name
1. From an industry-based view, why does Microsoft feel threatened by Linux in China and globally?
2. From a resource-based view, what valuable and unique resources and capabilities does Microsoft have in the eyes of the Chinese users and the government?
3. From an institution-based view, what are the major lessons from Microsoft’s strategic changes?
We give our students 100% satisfaction for their assignment, which is one of the most important reasons students prefer us from other helpers. Our professional group and planners have more than ten years of rich experience. The only reason that our inception days, we have helped more than 100000 students with their assignments successfully. Our expert’s group have more than 2200 professionals of different topics, and that not all; we get more than 300 jobs every day more than 90% of the assignment get the conversion for payment.
Place Order Now