Ability to learn and adapt | exclusivewritings.com
Career and Work
“What do you do?”
· As we get older, we often define ourselves by what we do
· “I’m a”: Therapist, Student, Teacher, Nurse, Server, etc.
· When we meet someone, we often ask, so what do you do?
· Why do we ask this?
· Remember what you’ve learned about self concepts, we also form concepts of others
· This means we define people, in part, by what they do as a career
· What do you learn about someone when you ask?
· Personality characteristics
· In our current society, people can have many different experiences with work
· Some people start working at a young age, some wait until later in life
· Some people work many different jobs, some people stay in one field
· What we do for work often depends on things like accessibility, financial needs, scheduling, skill set
· What we do for work is not always the same as what we want (or think we want) for our career path
· Often work is pursued because of motivations other than beliefs or values
· Bills, kids, pets, expenses, etc.
How do we decide what we want to do?
· Family influences
· Fields we are exposed to (take your child to work day, etc.)
· Personality traits
· Interests developed through experience
· Spending time on a farm with your grandparents helping as a child
· Personal characteristics
· Ability to learn and adapt
· Beliefs and values
· Someone inclined towards social justice issues might pursue a career in a helping field
· Someone who grows up to value justice and equality might pursue a field in law
· Value of education may influence you to want to be a teacher
How Do you Know what YOU want?
· Personal characteristics
· What do you like/dislike to do?
· What brings you a sense of purpose?
· Are you motivated by money? Schedule?
· What sparks your interest?
· What do you value?
· Family Influences
· What examples were you given?
· What were you taught about work?
· It’s just something you do to pay the bills
· It defines you
· What were you raised to value?
EX: What made you become a therapist?
· People often ask me why I became a therapist, usually followed by, “I don’t know how you do it.”
· Belief in Law of attraction
· You get what you give
· Meaning Making
· I believe the experiences I’ve had give me good perspective
· People person
· I enjoy connecting with people, I am interested in people
· Therapy helped me
· I value therapy because it was positive for me
· Didn’t become a famous comedian
· We adjust and refine our goals over time
· My parents were both in helping professions
· I spent a lot of time in hospitals, learned a lot about helping careers as a child
· In short, my career came about as a sum of my experiences
What do you do once you know?
· What are the options for the career you are choosing?
· Self employment or with a company?
· What kind of education/Certification will you need
· Where are these training programs located?
· What are their requirements/pre -requisites
· Will you need to start getting experience?
· Volunteer, shadowing
· What is the outlook for your chosen career?
· Job growth/availability
Do you need a similar assignment done for you from scratch? We have qualified writers to help you. We assure you an A+ quality paper that is free from plagiarism. Order now for an Amazing Discount!
Use Discount Code “Newclient” for a 15% Discount!
NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.