Write your response with an audience of child care professionals in mind. Your goal in this discussion post is to provide information on language development and literacy practices, and then follow this information with practical strategies that they can follow in early child care environments. Your discussion should also provide special cautions or considerations that you think your audience should be aware of when working to develop language and literacy with young children.
Consider the following questions when constructing your response:
- What are the significant characteristics of language and literacy development in children ages 2-7?
- How do language and literacy development advance and change in young children over the course of these years?
- What strategies would you recommend child care professionals implement in their classrooms to provide age-appropriate instruction?
- What challenges might children face in developing language and literacy skills during these years?
- How can child care professionals confront these challenges and best support language and literacy development in all children?
Support your discussion with details from the text and course materials. Cite all sources appropriately.