Watch one of these films:
Elysium, Avatar, The Hunger Games, or District 9
While watching the film, you should keep a critical eye toward the concept of tribes, values, moral worldviews, and culture. In other words, you should draw on material that is talked about in the class, to gain a better understanding of the ways that culture and socialization can affect, change, and react to social structure.
Whether you like, dislike, agree, or disagree is not the point of the discussion. This is not a movie review, you are, in fact, conducting critical qualitative research, and thus your answer should focus on the sociological aspects of the movie.
Remember, you should be conducting a critical analysis of what you see in the film. Therefore, you will be giving your analysis and supporting your analysis with social and moral theories from the readings and lectures so far.
Your analysis should be supported by the concepts and theories covered so far this quarter.
Structure of your paper:
1. State the main thesis
2. Summarize the interaction of the movie with the theory that you are applying
3. Critical Discussion: This is the main body of paper where you explain your analysis of the film; this should include sections supporting your main thesis (2 or 3 points usually–however, one strong argument can suffice) and your analysis should use theories covered in the course.
4. Conclusion: Reframe your thesis and argument, explain significance (“so what?”). End your essay by throwing a spear through the center of the target. Show how you have made a plausible and powerful argument.
5. Length: Approximately 600 words.
Your grade will be based on how well you:
- Follow these guidelines
- Make a clear and plausible argument
- Provide supporting evidence from the film and use theory from class readings and lectures
- Organize your paper clearly
Use these bolded subheadings to structure your paper:
Thesis, Synopsis, Critical Discussion, Conclusion
- Write clearly and effectively
I will upload class notes and example of the paper here.