Critical Response Presentation: Maternal Complications and Challenges and Advocating for Family Support
This assignment asks you to demonstrate your understanding of prenatal development and potential complications. Further, the assignment asks you to think critically about ways that professionals can act as advocates for parents and children who experience developmental challenges.
- For this assignment, you will create a Power Point presentation addressing the following guidelines.
- While you will not be creating a paper, the content should be the same as if you were writing a 3-4 page (750-1000 word) critical response paper.
Perform the following tasks:
Step 1: Discuss potential reproductive challenges and delivery complications that families may experience during pregnancy and delivery (Approximately 4-6 Slides)
Drawing on knowledge gained through Lesson 3 materials, open your paper with a discussion of reproductive challenges and delivery complications that pregnant mothers may experience during their pregnancies and deliveries. Consider the following questions as you construct your presentation:
- What are some potential reproductive challenges that prospective parents may face?
- What are some complications that may occur during fetal development and delivery?
- What are some challenges that families with new infants may face?
Step 2: Develop a detailed, advocacy-based response to one or more of the challenges addressed in the first part of your paper.
Once you have outlined some challenges that arise in conception, fetal development, infant delivery, and family life after delivery, think about ways that child care professionals and community members can work in support of families that encounter such challenges. The second part of your project should describe advocacy strategies that work in support of parents and infants who experience the kinds of challenges that you describe in the first part of your project. With the specific challenges you’ve described in the first part of your project in mind, develop the second part by considering the following questions:
- What kind of support do families that face these challenges need the most?
- What roles can child care professions take on in supporting families that face these challenges?
- How can individuals and communities work in support of families that face these challenges?
All advocacy strategies discussed in Step Two should correspond to challenges discussed in Step One. You are expected to write a supported, detailed, critical response.
Please cite all sources used to develop this project appropriately.